Friday 15 March 2013


I have chosen to study Jen Rinaldi because her cemetery photographs are linked to my question, Nursery Rhymes.  Nursery rhymes make harsh subjects less serious. This was to teach children about harsh subjects. Having a beautiful statue in a graveyard makes being in a graveyard less upsetting because some of them are beautiful. The content of this photograph is a gravestone with Russian writing carved on it. On top of the stone is a cross carved out of stone. The mood of this photograph is togetherness. I don’t read Russian but I’m guessing that the two people’s faces that have been carved on the stone are related or married and they have been buried together.
The Gravestone is central to the photograph and in the background there are more gravestones. This photograph is monotone. There aren’t any bright or lively colours. The colours used are black and white. I would like to use the colour theme element in this photograph in my own work.

I like this photograph because unless you know Russian you don’t know anything about the people that have been buried. This makes me think about how they know each other and if they are buried together they were obviously inseparable.

No comments:

Post a Comment